Dear Joe,

The helicopter tape stick-on ones work okay for road use. They'll
eventually get torn up, and, once chipped up, are difficult to remove
cleanly. Eric has the very best approach--chrome or stainless socks and a
rubber chain slap-strap, but you gotta be thinking ahead (i.e. work with
your builder/painter and chromer) for that solution. Don't ask Grant for
chrome.

Or avoid the chain-slap problem entirely: In increasing order of hassle: A
clutch-type ("type 2") rear derailleur basically eliminates chain slap
(and, more critically, really limits the opportunity for chain suck) in my
experience--it is a blessing if you're riding modern derailleur gears
off-road. However, it comes at the expense of modern rear mtb derailleurs,
which tend to have an industrial look. A rohloff or similar eliminates the
slack necessary for chain-slap, even with a chain tensioner. Or you can
have a Nivex fabricated. They reportedly have enough spring tension to
limit chain slap.

I use the stick-ons, replace them every now and again, and recognize that
eventually, I'll be repainting the bike if it is steel and I hang onto the
machine long enough. Anyway, tape, twine, and shellac all sound like
grantean solutions.

Cheers,

Will
William M. deRosset
Fort Collins, CO

P.S. Paint on my bikes gets banged up in use, and in travel in particular.
My RH is on its second paint job, thanks to airline security's (maybe
Customs?) stellar unpacking/repacking of my machine on the return flight
from PBP 2011. How did they manage to scrape all the paint off of the NDS
seatstay/chainstay on the lid of the plastic case?? it was all covered in
pipe insulation that they stripped from the bike! It is a brighter blue
now, and I took the opportunity to fiddle with the braze-ons a bit (move
front derailleur down, shift rear light mount slightly). Next time I have
to paint that bike maybe I'll get SL-connector fork ends done....

On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 3:57:49 PM UTC-7, Joe Bernard wrote:
What's the preferred method around these parts for protecting the stay from
chain slap? Thanks, Joe Bernard Vallejo, CA.