Try mounting it on the braze ons higher up on the seat stays.  Those are
actually M6 as well.  That is where I mounted a Nitto Mt Campee, albeit I
had to mount it to the inside, but it was no biggie.  I also found when
attempting to use M5 bolts and jury rigging on the dropouts that the
hardware would have interfered with the chain/cassette.  Anyway, everything
is good on the higher ups.