Jim,

Living in sunny southern California, I've never had much need to
fender my Romulus -- and hence never have. According to Riv's Romulus
catalog specs, it is supposed to be able to take a 32 mm tire with
fenders or 35 without, so I'm confident my Romulus could fit fenders
and the Challenge tires. It also uses the standard reach brakes. My
understanding of the old Road Standard that you have is that it uses
short reach brakes. Right? If so, it probably tighter clearance than
the Romulus.

I don't own a micrometer, so I can't comment with any accuracy on the
width, but I seem to recall measuring the height once at about 28-29
mm from the top of the rim to the top of the tread. They're definitely
plumper than their 27 mm label and I'd be inclined to agree with
others who say they're more like 28-30 wide.

>From what I remember of the Pasela non-TG in 28 (which I briefly tried
before the Challenge), the Challenge are roughly the same width and
height on my Mavic Open Pro, if that gives you anything to grab onto
for comparison's sake. (But the Challenge are a much nicer tire!)

I hope this helps.

Aaron