Anacortes is not a bad option. The Islands are not a bad option.you can
take a ferry to Vancouver Island and Victoria
from Friday Harbor. the candian dollar is weak right now so a side trip to
Victoria is a nice day or two.
if you travel light you dont need a car. I think the airporter shuttle goes
from seatac to anacortes. Seattle traffic can be a nightmare.

there is a great book store in Mt Vernon and another one in Bellingham.

personally i like the canadian gulf islands better than the American San
Juans, but that may just be because
it is a bigger change of scene for me.