Another sad reminder that this is not just idle conversation--these are
extremely experienced cyclists including a former Randonneurs of USA
president Mike Dayton who is reported to be in a coma:

Four Cyclists Hit in North Carolina While Riding Single File on a Rural Road

*All four bicyclists were transported to Wake Medical Center in Raleigh
with serious injuries.*

*The four bicyclists all have non-life-threatening injuries and were
identified as: Christopher Graham, age 34, Joel Arthur Lawrence, age 57,
Lynn Lashley, 57 and  Michael Dayton, age 60, according to officials.*

*Donnie Marie Williams, the driver in the crash, did stop at the scene
after the crash, officials said.*

*Williams’ daughter came to the scene and told WNCN that her mother, who
was driving, didn’t see the bicyclists until it was too late.*

*Her mom was too distraught to speak. The daughter, Tiffany McElveen, says
her mother was coming up over the hill and didn’t see the cyclists. A car
was passing in the other direction and she panicked.*

*“…she didn’t know what to do. She didn’t know whether to hit the other car
or to try to miss the bicyclists,” McElveen said.*

*McElveen said that her mother was “hysterical” when she called her to the
scene.*

*“I really couldn’t hardly understand her. She just kept saying ‘Tiffany I
hit somebody, I hit somebody.’ She said ‘come down here, come down here.’ I
said ‘where you at’. She told me like ten times, but I couldn’t understand
what she was saying because she was so hysterical,” Tiffany McElveen said
of her mother, who was not injured.*

Full article:
http://wnct.com/2016/02/21/4-bicyclists-in-serious-condition-after-...
<http://wnct.com/2016/02/21/4-bicyclists-in-serious-condition-after-being-hit-by-car-in-johnston-county/>

*Highway Patrol said two of the victims suffered head injuries.*

*The victims were listed in the following conditions at WakeMed:*

*Joel Lawrence, stable*
*Lynn Lashley, critical*
*Christopher Graham, stable*
*Mike Dayton, critical*