I also wondered why racks flare like that at the bottom. I have the nitto
campee front rack, the version with removable low-riders that flare. The
most recent Bicycle Quarterly has a detailed explanation on what makes for
a good low rider rack and discuss that very point in detail. Now if only I
could remember off-hand what it was...