Honestly, most of the ride between Sonora and Walnut Creek would be pretty
much the worst Northern CA has to offer in terms of cycling. The Sierra
foothill roads near Sonora are mostly high-speed two-lane highways with
lots of traffic and little to no shoulder for bicyclists.  Once you get
down into the Central Valley it'd be miles and miles of flat riding on
straight roads (more high-speed traffic) through industrial agriculture.
 The climb up and over Altamont and through east Alameda County/Contra
Costa county might be pleasant enough, but I think by that point you'd be
tired enough that'd be hard to enjoy.

If you really wanted to have a great Northern CA cycling experience, I'd
pick up the bike, drive it back to the Bay Area somewhere, and do a ride
there.  Having lived and ridden in Northern CA for 13 years, including many
years living in the East Bay, you really realize that Rivs are a product of
the place they are designed and are uniquely suited to riding there.  Doing
Diablo from Riv headquarters is fun.  Marin also has miles and miles of
fantastic roads.  Or riding Highway 1 along the Coast between San Francisco
and Santa Cruz.