During winter solstice there's less than 8 hours of light sunrise to sunset
but if it's thick outside it's more like 6 hours of light!!!  I happen to
love that time of the year- so cozy to sit by the fire with your best
friend. The hard part of the year for me is February through July 15.
 We've survived November through January darkness and you're ready for
spring, right?  Although we can have some spectacular weather- especially
for a week in May, but mostly it is just cold, gray and wet until July 15.
 I've watched numerous Independence Day fireworks in a down parka with
extra blankets around the ladies.
But July 16 through October there is no place on earth I'd rather be.  It's
just hard to choose between salmon fishing/crabbing/shrimping, skiing the
high country, hiking/camping and oh yeah, cycling or cycle camping, the
music venues and the amazing restaurants.
The previous comments about density growth are true and driving a car here
is horrible nowadays.  Within a month we're moving to a nearby island to
escape the urban sprawl yet enjoy the beautiful Northwest.  At least it's
sprawl and not decay.