I thought of the term "cross dressing" for clothes that work well for
cycling and yet are "normal" in appearance. My own taste is more for
cycling clothes that look good off the bike than street clothes that work
for cycling, but obviously the line is not bold and firm.

My own taste runs to more classic cycling clothing -- black or at any rate
dark shorts, wool jerseys (ss merino, I've found, is good around here to
95*F or so if the humidity is low), layers of wool in winter, trim cycling
jackets and vests for wind. Knickers, heavy black tights for very cold
weather, lighter and looser pants for less extreme weather, gray or black
socks, black shoes. Jerseys can be team jerseys if the team has been
defunct for at least 30 years, and better 50+. Cycling caps can be plain or
ditto.

They don't call me "beau" for nothing.

Anyway, the Rapha randonee shorts came today (30 minute wait at the PO --
no wonder they can't compete) and while I've not ridden them, I tried them
on.

Just perfect in fit, color, feel, material, construction; the only defects
the fey little pink button tab on one rear pocket and the gratuitously twee
white belt loop on the right side -- will have to apply Magic Marker.

I'll be interested to learn if Rapha (or someone else) makes similar long
cycling pants: cut to look good on the boulevards while not *getting in
your way* when riding, having all the pockets that the civilized man about
town demands, fabric appropriate to the weather and activity, and durable,
durable, durable.

I used to sneer at Rapha, and I still do, but I bow my head to the quality
of the shorts' design and manufacture.

And double serendipity: I went by another Target and found 2 last pr of the
Merona E-waist chinos in gray and medium, and exchanged there and then for
the olives. The chinos fall rather into the category of "street clothes for
cycling" but they are at least 2/3 good for cycling, the only 2 defects
being their lack of fly and the low waist -- but not so low they can't be
used for casual riding.

I have a very nice Wooly Warm outer jersey in heather brown ragg wool, with
nice, high, button collar and rear pockets, and for base layers, Goodwill
turns up a continual supply of very nice Italian merino dressy pullovers
with turtle or faux turtle necks.

Gloves: DeFeet dura wool gloves, with slightly oversized PI or some such
mid weight synthetic gloves in black, in to which the DeFeets can fit; and
the 2 in turn can fit into a pair of cheap fleece gloves for extremely cold
weather.

I must now sign up for a pair of Dromartis to complete the ensemble (though
I should first wear out my PIs, Bontragers, Euxstars, etc, all in black or
tastefully neutral colors.

Oh, and I wore a pair of wool (Kucharik) shorts for the first time a few
weeks ago -- don't really feel the need for chamois, for my riding, but the
wool is far more comfortable, and less terrifyingly *improper* than lycra
shorts (I hate "diapers).)

I think I'll have a tailor cut a pair of high quality flannels into trim
cycling pants, by pegging them and installing zippers at the ankles.

I'll have several pairs of riding pants of varying sorts for sale shortly.