RBW put me on a 61 Homer with an 8cm stem and Noodles and I couldn't
tolerate the extension after a while. Then put me on a 60 Bombadil (my
fault for thinking I wanted 700c wheels so I could swap them between my
bikes - in hindsight should have gone one size smaller with 659b tires but
didn't realize it). Put Noodles with dirt drop stem on Bombadil and again,
even though the bars were higher I felt too stretched. Was suggested I put
Albas to address the longer reach, but since the standover clearance felt
too tight for dirt riding, I opted to swap it for the 58 Hunqapillar which
felt perfect. Never used Noodles on the Hunqapillar, just all variations of
Bullmoose bars, Bosco, etc. got my Atlantis sometime after getting the
Hunqapillar, cannot remember how I rationalized it, but got a 61 instead of
trying the 58. Same issues with horizontal reach, so tried multiple bars
until I found the so far perfect Elysees bar that I'm currently riding.

With the weight loss and improved fitness, managed to ride the Homer again
with the Compass Randonneur drop bars made possible by "discovering" Nitto
had a 5cm stem. Unhappy with, but so far not a terrible issue, the toe
overlap. Yes, you can get used to it. Yes, it always makes me curse when it
happens.

Rationalized getting a Betty shortly thereafter by saying it was for my
daughters. They've never ridden it. Keven wants to out me on a 60 but I
insisted on getting a 58 650b. Amazing fit, never put Noodles and tested
several bars successfully before settling on the MAP bars. Could have used
the Elysees as well, but wanted a different look. No issues whatsoever with
toe overlap even though I have fenders.

So, would the reach have been better on the smaller Atlantis or Homer?
Probably yes. Would the toe overlap been worse? Don't know, never tried
those sizes... Low trail fork took care of the toe overlap on the Atlantis
and customized its ride to my preferences.

Lessons learned:
- what you think is correct today will change in the future, so don't be
stubborn.
- reach is more important than height. Err on safe reach even if more seat
post will be shown. Long quill stems add even more flexibility to the
vertical adjustment as long as reach is ok.
- toe overlap can mess up the whole system if you don't tolerate it.
- with the weight loss (still 40+ lbs to go), I can lean forward just a bit
more and found myself also lowering the handlebars a bit. Roughly at or
slightly above seat level for now.
- review lesson #1, I'm sure I'll think differently in a few years.
- go with what you think is true today and/or try to experiment.

René