An interesting question.  I have a Ram with 700 x 29mm Compass tires, a
Saluki with 650 x 38 Pari Motos & a Trek 620 which I converted from 700 to
650, which also has Pari Motos.  So my answer is..... it depends!  Both the
Ram & Saluki have Al fenders and small front racks, but the Ram has lighter
components and is a lighter, more compliant frame.

There are really quite a few variables in addition to wheel size - the
bike, the tire, the road surface, and the riders style & preferences.
 Before going out for a ride I think about the roads I will be on and that
usually dictates my choice, even though both tires do pretty well on all
surfaces.  I live in rural Vermont and ride a lot of dirt roads, and a lot
of disintegrating chip and seal, so a comfortable tire is important to me.
 I also ride up and down hills a lot, so how a bike climbs & descends is
important to me.  I'm 71 and still enjoy a lively ride, but average trip
speed has no significance.  Since I live on a dirt road all rides begin &
end with 2-3 miles of dirt and I don't worry much about a few more miles of
dirt one way or another but if the bulk of the ride will be on decent
pavement I always choose the Ram over the Saluki.  It just feels a bit
lighter and faster, especially going uphill.  On the other hand if I will
have a lot of poor roads I will choose the Saluki, which is noticeably more
comfortable on the rough and only a bit less responsive when climbing.

The Trek provides the more interesting comparison.  Its geometry and
original tire clearance is virtually identical to the Ram.  The frame is
lugged, standard gage Reynolds 531.  This frame is a bit lighter than the
Ram and maybe planes a bit better.  With 700c tires on the Trek it was hard
to tell the difference between it and the Ram.  With 650B tires it feels
just as fast, a bit more stable at slow speeds or on bad roads and a lot
more comfortable.

My wife, Pat, doesn't sense much difference on her Betty between the Pari
Moto and Fatty Rumpkins, but she doesn't like climbing hills and is pretty
cautious going down, so never pushes a tire towards its performance limits.

Michael