On 12/6/09, kent <broken.cy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The standard cold weather equation is a warm, wicking base layer, an
> insulating layer and then a wind/waterproof shell.  Even hardcore
> synthetics fans would agree that wool makes a good base or mid layer,
> but most would swear by GoreTex and its descendants for the outer
> layer.  What do you wear on top in the cold and/or wet?

I find multiple layers of thin wool to work well, but we (in ABQ, NM)
are rather dry -- it's threatening rain or snow right now at 62%
humidity. On Sat I rode in breezy upper 30s weather with a merino
shirt-weight pullover and an Ibex wool-cum-lycra vest, neck, hands and
ears all well covered, of course. The wool layers seem good down to
below freezing, depending on the wind, since they seem at once to
block the wind sufficiently and yet breathe. I used to wear a nylon
shell over other layers and invariably would end up after 10 miles
soaked in sweat. I no longer use a shell except when the temps get
down toward 20F or lower. I don't sweat nearly as much with even a
nylon vest, due I assume to the much greater ventilation, and I will
choose a vest instead of a second (or third) layer when it is breezy.

Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM
For professional resumes, contact
Patrick Moore, ACRW at resumespecialt...@gmail.com