Update:

Been wearing waterproof Keens with MKS touring pedals and they are working well.

They are wide and comfortable for my wide feet.

Though they look bulky they don't feel heavy and no heel strike on chain stays.

Added bonus is there is probably no need for shoe covers in the rain in warm
temps as they are waterproof. Basically they are constructed as just a rubber
out/insole. Some kind of nylony/canvassy looking webbing on top.

Of course I havent  ridden them in the wet yet that I can remember. But I have
worn them in wet Hawaii and they were great!