As I remember, Grant's explanation was that the original lugs were time
consuming to braze, mask and paint and that the simpler shorelines of the
redesigned "rounded" lugs was an attempt to speed up the process and in
turn, cut down on the time and costs.
 The original lugs were used on the first few batches of Atlantis' and Rams
were modified version of the custom Rivendell lugs. I had an Atlantis in
the 300 serial number range and that still had the original "pointy"
version.
The latest lugs being used are the Saluki/Hilsen type.

 - Frank