Alignment is assumed perfect from the maker, but unless checked it is an
assumption only.

A frame may be misaligned prior to sale then , and it may or may not have
been made correctly.  For example, I bought a used Waterford built Bomba
and to my surprise I could not even get a rear wheel into it normally, I
had to slide it in at an angle just to get it in the dropouts. Obviously
something was not right as this should never be the case, and the wheel
when installed was off center .  To make a long story short I sent the
frame to a trusted builder who has digital alignment table and he
discovered one chainstay was brazed 1mm shorter than the other , the
driveside dropout was malformed and obviously the frame was out of
alignment. As to the "cause" , obviously the brazing mistake from Waterford
was one, the dropout who's to say as the original owner claimed the frame
was perfect for him went he sent it.  What-ev-er !  . . .  lol . . . .
all was made well regardless of what-ev-er apparently had occurred.

For Zach,  4-5mm is alot and really requires a professional who is
experienced in these things to discover why . It may be a combination of
things.