While reading through this thread discussion something kept going on the
the back of my mind, like I'd seen something about the steering tube
butting somewhere on the Web.  So I finally browsed through some of
Sheldon's articles and found this:

*Note:* Steerers <http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_st-z.html#steerer> are
butted <http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#butted> at the bottom, so
the hole in the steerer is constant-diameter until near the bottom, then
the walls taper inward in the butted section.

It is *vitally important* that the stem extender (or stem) not be inserted
so far that the wedge is installed where the steerer is narrowing, or it
could come loose unpredictably.

When this happens, only the edge/corner of the quill or wedge contacts the
steerer, and it is trying to "grab" a slanted surface.

This is sometimes a problem on smaller frames if you try to insert the stem
or a stem riser too far down into the steerer.

[image: Stem Inserted Too Far]
Illustration by Nicholas Flower