Ian:

Your PBH & saddle height are same as mine, but I am 5'-10", and have been
riding a 58 cm Atlantis with 10 cm stem since '03.  According to Rivs
sizing charts I'm in the overlap between 56 & 58. I have briefly ridden a
56 and it felt fine.  I've also briefly ridden a 61 (next size up) and felt
a bit stretched out.  I rode mine with Noodles until switching to upright
bars a couple of years ago, and use the same 10 cm stem.  I briefly tried
Albas & On One Marys but did not care for the hand position.

>From your description of having a long torso, I suggest the 58 cm would
make a good fit.  Much will depend on your choice of bars & preferred
riding position, but my guess is with a long torso the 56 would need a
longer stem.  Keep in mind what tires you prefer as well.  Nice big chubby
tires will raise the standover.  I recently put 45 mm Marathon Mondials on
and that is about the max tire that is personally comfortable for
standover.

Good luck, and keep in mind that either size can be made to work.  I just
think the 58 cm would take less fiddling.

dougP