Why not go as big as you can?, that way you'll have options to go as big as
you might with your tires. Obviously there's your aesthetic sense which
might keep you from wanting giant fenders atop skinny tires, but... ..you
live close enough to the beach? Balloon tires are a great option,
especially if you don't have to swap the fenders out.
-Kai
Brooklyn NY