Jeremy: thanks; very precise and useful information.

I *think* that, if I were to have the frame re-spaced to 120 mm OL, I could
use the 114 mm OL hub without too much problem. I don't think I can simply
add spacers to the AM hub, because the axle, at 146 mm overall, is not long
enough to contain an additional pair of 2 mm spacers and leave enough
 length for the modern (thick) dropouts with enough threading left over for
secure attachment of the nuts.

But 3 mm or so per side should not be a problem even with stays made from
stiff, high-quality tubing.

While I'm on the subject: are there *any* fixed hubs spaced at 114 or so
OL, that are also sufficiently sealed for at least occasional rain?