Very busy in the office over the past week (actually past 3 weeks including
travel), with no chance to get out and ride since last weekend.  Quick scan
of the weather yesterday showed monsoons coming, with yesterday morning my
only window to ride.  So I took a 35-mile fender ride in light on-and-off
rain on the municipal greenways.  In some places it was hard to discern the
macadam trail for the recent live oak fall (flowers/pollen and last year's
leaves) mixed with fresh cut grass.  As far as the clay wash, there were
about a half-dozen spots that were treacherously slick - the spookiest was
near one end of a 1600' boardwalk over a marsh.  It was a great ride, and I
only saw 3 other bikes the entire way (none of them had fenders - the guy
on the road bike with skinny tires was characteristically smug - recognized
him, even spoken with him before).  Every place it could, the bike picked
up chert, the soft oak flowers mixed with a bit of clay.  The rear wheel
was absolutely filthy - the rim and tan sidewalls were black.  When I got
home, took a hose to the bike, which cleaned most everything except the
rear wheel and tire.
The bike ended up on the bike stand for detail cleaning.  I took 406
Protectant to the tire sidewalls, and the wax residue in my rag was enough
to clean the rim(s).  What I discovered, the black was a mix of clay with
the Ice Wax from my chain.  The Ice Wax from my chain had completely
sloughed off in the wet ride.  After hosing the bike down, the entire
drivetrain was clean - the chain was bright, shiny and looked brand new -
you could rub your fingers on it without picking up any residue whatsoever.

I've been using Ice Wax on the Wippermann stainless chain for most of a
year - this is the type of lube the mfg recommends.  But this is the
simplest drivetrain cleaning I've ever experienced.  Hose it down, let it
dry, and start over with a new application.  I can live with this.