I am debating whether to install fenders on my new Bombadil, which I still
haven't had time to finish assembling, but should be done by Saturday at the
latest, as all I have left is to install the shifters and fine tune the
brakes. I have switched the knobby tires to Specialized El Capitan Control
2Bliss, 2.2 front and 2.0 rear, which now give good clearance. This is
essentially a 56mm wide front knobby tire and a 51mm wide rear tire.

I'd like to install fenders, which at this point would have to be Giles
Berthoud stainless steel fenders in 700x60, but am wondering if there would
be negative risks if I went mountain biking with the fenders. Someone told
me that a rock or something else could get stuck between tire and fender
with catastrophic consequences.

I'm also planning to use Marathon Extreme tires when I'm riding it in the
road primarily and only need easy dirt trail capability, and just discovered
there is a Marathon Supreme version in 2.0 as well. Will the 1.6 Marathon
Extremes (42mm wide) look odd or behave oddly with 60mm fenders?

Let me know what you think about mountain biking and going off-road with
fenders.

René