I looked into these a while back.  Pretty good idea but FYI, in case it's
not obvious, you need a shoe with a removable insole, in order to cover the
backing plate.

I had hoped to convert some of the super wide Keen sandals, which is all I
wear for 7 months of the year - at least when I don't need to be
presentable. (Keen actually makes an ultra-narrow SPD bike sandal, but I
can't even get them on my feet)  Alas, they are not an option, due to the
construction.

Still, these are a great option for spread-footed guys like me, since bike
shoes rarely if ever come in wide enough sizes.