Check out the recent discussion under "My Quickbeam arrived 10 minutes
ago".  The poster was kind enough to photo how Riv packs a bike (an
awesome job).  They use a specific foam block to protect the seat
cluster, and even mount it to a plug that goes in the ST.  The block
is maybe 4" thick.
The downside is the box is 37" tall x 10" wide x 55" long.  The 37"
dim is uncommonly high for a bike box.  Most are sized to fit into the
FedEx & UPS window of 130" max combined girth & length.  A box 30 x 50
x 10 just squeeks in and that's tight for my 58.  The Riv box dims out
at 149" which incurs the oversize charge of IIIRC $45.  But that's
cheap compared to the mental anguish of frame damage.
FWIW, I've incurred damage (nothing like yours, though) from FedEx,
UPS, UAL & Alaska Airlines.  I insure the Atlantis for $3K and hope
somewhere in the shipping instructions that gets their attention &
they say "Take it easy, this one's gonna cost us if we mess it up".

dougP