When I hear the phrase "take the lane" it brings to mind moving well into
the lane, perhaps to the middle, to discourage or prevent cars from
"sharing the lane" with the rider. In the situation that Jay describes I
think doing that would be unwise. Most likely it would have resulted in his
being swamped on both sides. Riding on or just to the left of the fog line
however, would be much better than riding on a shoulder with obstructions
in it.