Funny - I wear keens almost exclusively, for 7 months a year.  I was SO
excited when they came out with those bike sandals.  But they're about 1/2
the width of their regular sandals, and I literally cannot even get them on
my feet.   My SPD bike "shoe" of choice is currently the Nashbar sandal,
which is really wide,  but tough and inexpensive too!  But, like the OP, my
SPD equipped bikes just don't get ridden as much as a bike that I can hop
regardless of what I happen to be wearing.