I'd go hands down every time for hydraulic discs over cable.   Not sure why
they get a bad rep, I find them so much easier to bleed and set up than the
cables.
I have been running hydraulics since my old Magura hydro rim brakes back in
the 1990's though.   BTW - they are still in use on my tandem.

Whatever you end up using, Disc/Canti/V or hydro/cable, learn how they work
and how to work on them...

Scott