Zach,
I agree.  The responses on this thread have been wonderful, including your
response.

I may be a bit further along than at the beginning.  After all, I've been
thinking of a Riv for many years.  I think I have the bike choice narrowed
to just the AHH, mostly thanks to the comments on this thread.  I would be
comfortable placing the order for an AHH now to get it started, though I'm
not in a rush to do so.  Though possible, it's not likely to change from
this.  The only remaining issue on starting the AHH order is whether to get
standard blue or go for a custom color.  The standard blue is a safer
choice.  A custom color would make it unique, but may hinder sale later if
I ever did want to sell, though I cannot now envision ever wanting that.

Even after placing the order, I will still have a bit of time, maybe a
couple of months, to finalize component selection.  Your mention of the 9sp
or less is what triggered the re-think in my response to Tim.  Maybe the
standard Riv 3x9 is sufficient or even to be preferred.  I know it would be
sufficient.  I'm not sure about the preferred part yet.

For some of the other components I'm narrowing down choices on...

Bars - Nitto Randonneur - I want a drop bar and like the flare out of the
drop on these.  Earlier, Tim removed my worry about possibly using brifters
on it.  I had the FSA Wing Pro on my VO Rando and it was nice.  I think the
Randonneur flare may be a little better for me, though that's just a guess
right now.

Wheels - Since I am not likely to need much lighting, battery power should
be sufficient for lighting instead of getting a dyno.  If I ever do any
touring later, I can get a dyno hub for the second wheel set.  I like the
idea of Phil hubs, but am leaning towards the standard Riv wheels.  I don't
know enough about Phils to know if extra cost difference would be worth it
for my application.

Thanks.

Tim