So I bought a set of Tektro CR720s from RBW and mounted them on my
Quickbeam.  I wasn't happy with the stock Shimano brakes, even with
Salmon pads.  I also wanted to road test my new Swobo tights, and
RainLegs (rainchaps). Photo link below.

The brakes: I rode up to Hawk Hill, Marin Headlands since that was the
closest long grade near my home (just a 30-minute ride over the Golden
Gate Bridge).  The back side of that climb is a very STEEP downgrade,
and a good test descent for the brakes (and my wrenching/adjusting
ability!). The mounting process was surprisingly easy, and they went
on quickly. Adjustment took just a couple of minutes for each set.
Fortunately, I put them on correctly, as I made it down the grade with
no problems. The brakes are a marked improvement over the Shimanos.
As the RBW blurb states, these brakes do "just feel right" and stopped
the 'Beam smoothly and with less lever pressure than was required on
the old brakes.  They were silent, too!  On the flats, there was no
noticeable difference between the two, but why would there be?
Downgrade, on fast slopes, these new brakes rule! Here's the link:

http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/tektro-cr720-cantilever-brakes/15-153

The Swobo tights: I really like Swobo riding gear, particularly the
wool jerseys and knickers. I wanted a pair of tights for cooler
weather, and purchased a pair of Swobo tights made with their much-
ballyhooed new MAPP fabric blend. The MAPP is a blend of 40% wool on
the skin side, with a synthetic outer shell. Swobo claims the new
material is wind resistant and water repellent.  I can attest to the
wind resistance, but I didn't get enough precip to opine about the
water shed thing.  The tights are great fitting, comfy, and kept my
legs nice and warm (California Coast warm, not Minnesota warm!).  The
synthetic blend allows the tights to stretch and they fit quite
snuggly. They have short ankle zips to ease the donning and doffing.
Another great feature is that they have no sewn-in pad, so I can wear
any sort of short beneath.  Nice feature that I wish was available
with their wool knickers. Here's the link:

http://www.swobo.com/catalog/product_info_m.php?cPath=1507&products_id=894

RainLegs: I bought these mainly to wear while commuting to work,
because I hate climbing into rain pants for such a short ride (5 miles
each way). These things look like just the ticket to keep the tops of
my thighs dry, and not make it look like I just wore my work slacks
into a sauna.  I took them on this test ride but alas, it never rained
at all.  I was certain that it would, but despite heavy cloud cover
and rain all week, I never felt a drop on this ride.  So, I'll review
the RainLegs another time.  Here's the link:

http://www.rainlegs.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=29

Here's the photo link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8581...@n03/sets/72157622999297068/