History:
I use a 26-36-46 up front right now
I use a 13-30 7-speed cassette in back (avoids autoshifts with friction
that way).
Bleriot. 135mm d'outs in the back.
This enables 95% of the hills I ride without dropping to the granny ring.
But sometimes I must use it. Happy to do so, too.
I ain't giving up friction shifting, and I ain't giving up 7-speed. So
don't even.

1. I know if I go to compact double, a 24 chainring will be the inner ring,
so that is settled. In stone. Because of the climbs I sometimes encounter.

But it is selecting the outside ring that gets me.

2. The majority of hills where I ride I ride in the 36 x 30 combo. Anything
harder and I dump down to the granny. 26 x 30.
So there is no way I could ride a 40-something big ring. So I am confused
about how to select the best toothcount for me for my big ring so that I
don't alos spin out on the downhills, yet can do the uphills without the
granny dump.

3. Should I just use the ring that would enable me to cruise flats in the
middle of cassette?
4. Should I also then change the cassette to the widest 7-speed possible?

I once tried a racer geared compact double bike and it wasn't for me. No
low enough small ring and too big of a big ring resulted in lots of FD
shifting, which I am trying to avoid.