On 06/09/2016 01:27 PM, Bill Lindsay wrote:
I have five thoughts on this subject

1. I agree that metal fenders look nicer than plastics. I have no gripes with anybody who chooses to use metal fenders exclusively. That said, I think plastics look fine, and are good enough for many things. I use metals and plastics about 50/50 in my stable.

I only replaced the SKS fenders on my Longstaff because the weight of the Pixeo tail light kept breaking the fender. I had them on that bike for over a dozen years and thought they worked fine, looked like they belonged (I mean, Longstaff is as British as it's possible to be, and plastic fenders pretty much are "the British way") and I went with metal because I was afraid the breakage issue would continue with other brands of plastic fenders, and because they were on sale, the price was within ten dollars of the plastic ones.

2. If you are doing it right, metal fenders take a bit longer to install than plastics. If it took 3 hours, you were doing it wrong. If it required 3 arms and a box of ambidextrous luck, you were doing it wrong. Doing it right should take about 40 minutes for plastics and about 60 minutes for metal. Maybe 80 minutes for metal if they are not pre-drilled. I'm speaking roughly and generally because usually this process is meditative, and involves a glass of wine or dram of whisky.

If you're doing it for the first time and you're serious about being meditative, 3 hours would still be within the realm of reasonable. Printed instructions and photographs only go so far. If you've never seen it done, you're right to appreciate the delicacy of the materials you're working with and the costly harm you can so easily and so quickly done. Taking the time to stop, play it all again in your mind and calm yourself down, can be time well spent. Of course, subsequent installs are faster and easier, but this is one area where being in a hurry is wrong in every possible way.

3. I agree 100% with Steve Palincsar that the very best fender installs happen on bicycles designed perfectly to accept metal fenders. That means equidistant bridges, with a threaded boss already present at the seatstay bridge, the chainstay bridge and under the fork crown. That install takes a while because you need to custom drill your fenders for the bike, but that's the very best way, in my opinion. Everything else is a workaround. The relative goodness of that workaround is in the eye of the beholder. All of my Rivendells have nice threaded bridges in back. None of my Rivendells have a proper fender attachment point at the fork crown, so I have to use an L-Bracket there. That's a workaround, but I think it's an acceptable workaround.

"My mind to your mind, my thoughts to your thoughts..."

"My mind to your mind, my thoughts to your thoughts," - See more at: http://www.startrek.com/database_article/mind-meld-vulcan#sthash.5IQbk0p5.dpuf

4. The most common way of "doing it wrong" in my experience, is trying to do a proper fender install with the bike on the ground. Choosing to try to install your own fenders without having the bike in a proper workstand will definitely make the job more challenging and probably more frustrating. Metal fenders in particular, with perfectly designed attachment points, require you to remove and reinstall the wheels multiple times. I don't recommend attempting that without having the bike in a stand. If the bike is on the ground, then that motivates me to try to do everything with the wheels on, and that just makes it harder.

Agree 1,000%. I can't even imagine attempting to install metal fenders without a proper workstand. Talk about "this won't end well..."

5. I agree with Michael in his OP that whether or not to choose to use a product has little to do with the product itself and almost everything to do with the person holding the wrench. Michael doesn't like installing plastic fenders, so he won't do it anymore. Bravo. Similarly, I find doing a bleed on mineral-oil hydraulic brakes far easier than doing a bleed on D.O.T. fluid hydraulic brakes, so I choose to avoid D.O.T. hydraulic brakes. My choice says little objectively about D.O.T. brakes. My choice says something about my mechanical abilities and proclivities. People who find themselves similar to Michael in ability and experience might also decide to stop using plastic fenders. That's totally cool. I don't like roofing or drain-side plumbing, so I pay people to do those things. I like construction framing and supply-side plumbing, so I do those tasks when they arise. Those choices have more to do with me than they have to do with the nature of the tasks.

Like some guitarists like Martin Dreadnoughts over J-series Gibsons, and vice versa. Neither is wrong, and both are splendid guitars. If you're doing it for the love of it, you shouldn't work on or use what you don't love. That is a burden only professionals must carry.