Thanks Jan,

Did you test the Rando vs. Ti bikes by powering the bikes with riders? I
know some of your studies have used small samples with human riders
powering the vehicles.

Is it possible that a study involving a human rider powering the bike will
be reliable and valid in light of the fact that the state of the engine
changes moment by moment? I am by no means a scientist, so forgive my
ignorance. Sometimes when I read about the studies all these other ideas
pop up in my mind to explain away the findings and I don't know if they
matter. I don't know if the ideas would really have any type of meaningful
effect on the results.

Also all the other extraneous factors like the fact that the bikes weren't
ridden exactly on the same line, subjected to different air movement
patterns, minor grade changes in the different lines, different
components/frames, etc.

I think it is really difficult to test bike performance because there are
so many variables. And while one may be explained away as noise in the
data, all the elements, taken as a whole must have a profound effect on the
movement of the bikes.

Is this true or is it not so difficult to get reliable data in bike tests?