Very unfortunate to hear and glad you're ok. That definitely makes me
nervous. When you say fork crown strut/tang, are you referring to the 2
struts that connect to the top of the fork crown like here
<http://oceanaircycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/10.28-Marks-Rack-WP-1140800.jpg>
 or
the single (flimsier) tange that connects to the centerpull brake bolt like
this <https://www.pinterest.com/pin/21814379422044040/>.

Are using fork crown bolts any more stable than the single centerpull bolt?