USPS has the advantage of working weekends, and I'm suspecting you're
ordering across the country, which is a long way to truck a package on work
days only.  I don't begrudge Rivendell anything.  They run very lean and do
the best for their employees they can.  Their agreement with UPS works for
them.
If you want really tedious, some of the larger warehouse and repackage
vendors can really drive you crazy.  I have my preferences, and don't do
business with some of the warehouse vendors often praised on this forum
because I don't like their tedious shipping.  Even service at
sierratradingpost has gone downhill since they changed hands a few years
ago.

Last bike I built included orders from Rivendell, Modern Bike, Ahearne,
Outside Outfitters, Ben's Cycle, Jenson, VeloFred, Velomine,
Biketiresdirect, Alex in Japan, CRC in UK, Wiggle in UK - I did my
homework.  (Universal is also really good, but they didn't have my
components in stock).  This is kind of my hit list for service effort and
price break.  Yes, Rivendell has some great prices on many items.  The
slowest of the bunch is Outside Outfitters, including the offshore vendors.

I'm also with Joe - I keep an active wish list at Rivendell
(sierratradingpost and wiggle) and watch for suchadeals before I place
orders.