Please read the section titled; *Schezbzflat! My hub feels notchy! on my
"schmidt.php" page.*

All hubs have drag. A sealed bearing hub, like White Industries has drag.
The drag is about the same as the work you do climbing about 6 inches in
elevation every mile you ride. With a SON28, lights switched off, the drag
is about twice that. So it's like climbing 1 foot every mile you ride. When
you switch the lights on, the drag is dramatically increased, to the
whopping equivalent of climbing about five feet every mile you ride.

This is why I have decided to give up cycling altogether. It's just too
depressing.

PJW

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 12:18 PM, Keith Muller <pharmer...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In a sense yes, but once the hub is spinning at a higher speed the drag is
> hardly noticeable.  Your spin test in a repair stand is far from
> replicating real world use and conditions.  Electricity is not free, even
> coming from a dynamo hub.  If you want the convenience of a self sufficient
> lighting system there is some efficiency you give up in other departments,
> though I'd argue that they aren't worth arguing about(hehe)!
>
> Keith

Peter White