Hello everyone,

Thanks for some of the more positive suggestions. I wanted to stay out of
this and let it fizzle but it's not going away.

Defending our shipping prices and carrier choices in the age of Amazon is a
losing game, and I won't win again this time, but... deep breath... here we
go!

If we ship a $10 order that cost us $5 in goods and $5 in
labor/rent/bandwidth/etc. and charge $9 flat rate to ship but it really
costs $12 to ship, we just lost $3. This happens sometimes.  Rarely do we
get a thank you. We get, "I can't believe you charged me $9."  Sigh...
Mondays are the worst!

Next time call or email d...@rivbike.com. For this and any other thing that
doesn't really belong on this here fun group. We'll do our best to explain
and give you the best options we can. If you agree to no tracking via USPS
and a total loss on your end if it's damaged.... sure we'll send it
cheaper, but you have to agree first. It's not an option on the website
yes.  Somethings like ferrules are best purchased locally...

While it's not what we'd prefer, you also don't HAVE to buy from us if you
can't afford to pay for shipping. If we have something you can't get
elsewhere and your life depends on it, then yes, you might have to pay us
to ship it because that costs money, materials and time, and always cost us
a lot more than you think. We like to guarantee it arrives too.

Our local USPS office and services are rubbish, just like many of your
local UPS stores and services are rubbish, it depends a lot on where you
live and the individuals involved. But we review shipping every few months
and offer our best alternatives. Comparing us to other businesses doesn't
work out for that and many other reasons. We don't get the same pricing,
deals, and service they do. They won't pick up our big loads in their tiny
trucks no matter how we beg. USPS reps come by and offer nothing most of
the time. On the other hand we've started using FedEx for some frames and
bikes this year to prevent increasing those costs via UPS. A small and
unnoticed win for our customers.

Shipping costs go up every year and we are expected to make them go down.
We simply cannot stay in business that way. Our shippers lose a little hair
every time they see lost money on a package. It's stressful and a major
struggle for us, especially when we too see others somehow getting or
offering better pricing. We try everything, we batch and moan and threaten
to change carriers.  We have meetings and crackdowns. Our shipping rates
are as fair-to-you-but-not-us as we can handle, even while occasionally
losing money on a package here and there, or dealing with shipping cost
complaint emails.

I take free shipping when I can get it, just like the next guy (almost
always from major retailers with generic products and big margins), but in
cases where a company charges for shipping, I have a uniquely sympathetic
feeling and think of it this way.....

If you can't come to terms with paying for shipping costs as the
cost-of-shipping, think of it as your carbon tax for shipping a relatively
tiny thing across the country/world in a big dirty truck/jet, those things
that our cycling trips are supposed to offset.  Or a money-saving
convenience fee you pay instead of having to spend more on a bigger order
(which is maybe more green than multiple small orders). Or a service fee so
you don't have to go downtown on your own steam and purchase locally. Or
think of what a bargain $9 is to have your box promptly packed, shipped,
and handled by a dozen or so wage-earning people including pilots! in many
different businesses and leased locations and have it arrive in a week.
Wow, that's neat!  Really spectacular when you think about it. Shipping
costs are remarkably cheap. Think what it would cost *you* to travel here
and get it. Even neater!  Also out-of-staters get out of paying their local
sales tax when applicable, don't forget that added bonus of paying for
shipping.

In the future please contact us directly with shipping questions,
suggestions, complaints, etc. Not everything has to be duked out public and
the Bunch can be used for fun stuff where the great community can help. For
shipping quotes and policies and general malaisey stuff, we've got the
goods so come to us first. We have the answers you seek. Complaining here
is maybe more interesting but ultimately unproductive, and complaining to
me will get you somewhere. I welcome complaints because it gives us a
chance to understand each other. I might not break, but I might bend a
little. Never hurts to ask.

Sincerely,

Dave Schonenberg
General Manager