Deacon Patrick, im sure you're probably right.  I like my 26" road bike for the
exact reasons you mention.  So as my default, hybrid, spontaneous grab-and-go,
do everything bike (which is what i've wanted this for), 650b might be good.
Its the smoothing of rough surfaces that really appeals to me about the larger
diameter wheel though - moreso than the momentum they carry.  Like you, i don't
see a lot of pavement.  Also, i built up this too-big clem thinking that if a
56 hunq ever came along (stock or custom), i could just swap components over...