What was the route like in terms of heat exposure and shade?

On 07/24/2016 12:51 PM, Austin B wrote:
So I ended up riding the 50 miler on my Hillborne. It performed admirably and didn't hold me back. I was a little slower climbing than most (I don't find it to be a great climbing bike) but more than compensated for it on the descents, where I was faster than anyone else out there without making an effort to do so. (I'm also 200lbs and is a large reason for it this as well). Super comfortable w/ 35mm tires!

I never did see any other Riv's. The only steel bikes I saw were a couple old Schwinn's, a Paramount, and an old Lemond. I'll say I was definitely out-of-place among a sea of black carbon/aluminum road bikes with brand decals stuck to each tube. I didn't care--I actually chuckled to myself everytime I passed someone on my SH, which they must've viewed as an "old tank,"

Lots of comments/compliments though, including:

  * "Whoa, that's a Hillborne--sweet Riv!"
  * "That's a really nice looking bike"
  * "Great bike."
  * "Interesting bike with the extra top tube. In what year was it made?"