Indeed, that is a gorgeous frame! I love the deep rich red. It's like the
color of a candy apple in a dream, just a little more red than is possible
in the real world.

I'll also contribute a short happy story about buying a used custom bike
because, well, I just bought one.

After reading through many an issue of Bicycle Quarterly I became enamored
of Jan Heine's Universal Recommended Bicycle (low trail, front load, flexy,
etc). I asked Jan about builders to consider, and he recommended Mitch at
MAP. I reached out to Mitch, who was wonderful, but said he was fully
booked and not even taking reservations for a while.

You can imagine how excited I was when I saw a MAP Randonneur posted to a
local list. And all the better, it turns out the fellow who had it built
shares my dimensions (height, PBH, saddle height) and had worked out his
dream bike over years of randonneuring and commissioning customs. After
scraping together money for a bit over a month I went for a test ride and
fell in love. I didn't even have to adjust the seat height. In the end I
was able to benefit from all the research and testing a same-sized fellow
had done. He designed a bike that almost undoubtedly fits me better than
one I would have designed myself.

Now, I would have spec'd 650B wheels, more modern brakes, and pannier
lowriders up front. But I'm happy to give those things up in order to have
this bike, today, and for about half price!

So don't give up hope! And keep an eye out for similar sized folks!

For the curious, here's the new-to-me bike:
https://goo.gl/photos/cXWTnxCCiJdJmtfw7
https://goo.gl/photos/TLeGdKpToUcCqLJ77
https://goo.gl/photos/mRD6dYcfRKbvDQz37

Reed