I think if there was a perfect bike like this, we would all have one!
The main factor as noted in the title is cost. But, are we talking cost new  or
Craigslist cost?
I have a variety of great grab & go bikes, but some weren't cheap and some are
better for different things then the others.
Others have mentioned old treks, but old treks go for serious money these days
so unless you just happened to have one or stumble on one it's probably not
doable. Old Bridgestones?  Same deal.
For trips of less than 2 miles I typically grab one of a few cruisers/Klunkers
in the stable. I don't really have anything else that qualifies as cheap
although in relation to your average Rivendell  most things are more
economical.
But, what would this mythical beast look like!?
To me: early 90's, steel, 7 speed index thumb shifters, probably  a mountain
bike.
I do have a old Raleigh Mountain Tour 650b mountain sort of hybrid that I
envision being just what you described,  but we will see how she turns out!?
Indeed, I  think Rivendells bring together a fairly unique set of specs &
criteria that you are just not going to be able duplicate by buying anything
else