I am very fortunate to have gotten a discount orange Cheviot frame that I
had built up recently.  It replaced my Surly Pacer (my wife will definitely
not tolerate any more bikes!, but am very fortunate that she tolerated a
replacement bike!).  The bike is setup with an Albastache bar, thin
gripster pedals, and a kickstand.  Having a non-drop bar, non-clipless
pedals and kickstand are all firsts since I was a kid.

I love the bike, and it has my interpretation of trademark Riv handling in
that it is extremely responsive to shifts in weight changes.  Also common
to all Rivs, they bring a smile to my face when I go out for a ride.  This
is in all seriousness.  I didn't ride the Pacer much anymore because it was
too this or too that compared to my Rivs.  Now I am so lucky have another
Riv to bring on that smile.

Just in case you are wondering about the drop bar to Albastache adjustment,
the brakes are lined up in the front of the bars at the curves, and if the
wind is strong, I can lean down and rest my arms along the bars and tuck
down very comfortably.  However, my position is very comfortable with
multiple bar positions and enjoy the added comfort of the upright bar end
position.

I am surprised at how well the thin gripster pedals work.  When I am going
uphill, I can definitely pull back on the pedal and get climbing
contribution there because they grip the sole of the shoe really well.

Having the functionality of a kickstand is great and forgotten after all
these years of "road" riding.  I'm having a friendly discussion with Grant
whether a randonneuring bike should have a kickstand plate or not, but for
my Cheviot, a kickstand is definitely the right thing to have.

Toshi