I think night riding before the bars close is safer than during the day. Fewer
cars, less for the cars to look at since it is dark,. If you are lit up they
can see you better than during the day.

One of the nicest rides I ever had was after leaving Seattle late one
afternoon, I ended up headed north on Chuckanut headed for Bellingham around
eleven pm night. I think three cars passed me in ten miles. Some ambient light
and lovely scenery and quiet in unbelievable ways. I shut the Schmidt and LED
off for most of the ride.