Agreed. I've been working at the same employer for awhile now and would
lock my bike up outside. I didn't have a 'nice' bike until a few years ago
(funny that now most of my bikes are 'nice' bikes), but I didn't hesitate
locking up outside, though I'd do a thorough locking job (locking skewers,
seatpost binder bolt, cable through saddle/rear wheel) and there's security
regularly out in front where bike rack is at.
About a year ago I got my own office and started bringing my bike inside
into my office. No one questioned it one bit and I didn't ask for
permission ahead of time - I've had no problems at all.

If you do end up needing to lock up outside, I'd be aware of the area and
lock up accordingly. Ride what's comfortable and what you feel comfortable
locking up. That being said, a little variety in what bike to commute on is
a nice option.
David
Chicago