Jeremy, what you write makes perfect sense and is an excellent distillation
of what Sheldon has written on the subject. However, in my experience
theory doesn't always work out under real-world conditions. FWIW, I am a
large man (6'3", 215#) with big hands (size 8.5 glove) and a strong grip
(take my word for it). In wet conditions with a heavy load and a steep
descent I have found Neo-Retros to function more as speed modulators than
proper brakes, no matter how hard I squeeze. So far I am happier with the
Touring cantis, but they've only been on the bike for a month or so and
it's been pretty dry during that time, so it isn't an apples-to-apples
comparison. The rain is coming though, so stay tuned...

Jay Lonner
Bellingham, WA