I was able to fit Compass Barlow Pass 700x38, but they they ended up measuring
about 35mm on Velocity Aerohead rims.  This was about as big as I would
comfortably go.   I'm a little OCD about not rubbing through the paint. Maybe
2-3mm of clearance on each side between the chainstays.  There was plenty of
room under the brake arches. I occasionally ride the bike on smooth crushed
limestone trails and like to have a little extra room.  The Jack Browns fit
perfect and I think RBW was able to get fenders to work this them on the Roadeo.