Patrick:

I ran a freewheel for a while on the S3X that I sold you.  While running
the freewheel on it, I had trouble at times getting it to shift.  It seemed
to shift better for me while running the fixed sprocket when I applied a
little backwards force on the pedals.  It was one of the reasons I cleaned
it out.  I thought perhaps the grease was making it stick.  I still had the
shifting trouble after I had cleaned it.  I went back to fixed and didn't
have any more trouble with it.

My shifting problems were similar to an AW when you shift from first to
second.  If you are pedaling hard it stays in first and then when you ease
up it goes into second.  Except I couldn't ease up because the freewheel
kept me from doing this. It eventually would drop into the correct gear.

If you really want to play around I have a Bendix manual 2 speed that you
could turn into a 2 speed fix, but I have read the lash is quite extreme.
It is also not on the light side.

Mark Parker
Knoxville, TN