>From: Steve Palincsar <palin...@his.com>
>Trouble is, in most cases a "rest" largely resembles a dirt nap. How
>many models that have been "given a rest" have ever resurfaced?

One - the Rambouillet

That language of "sleep" or "nap" was used once. And the Ram did wake up from
its first nap, and there was one more brief run of them before it slept for
good.

So I think this statement that when Rivs sleep they never come back is an
exaggeration. In all the other cases of discontinuance, the company was totally
upfront, and said it's being discontinued. And furthermore, when the Ram went
to sleep, I believe I recall Grant saying that he wasn't sure that it would
wake up.

And when it was announced two years ago that Hillborne was going on yearlong
hiatus to clear resources for incoming Clems, people assumed that meant, "oh,
code for it's over for Sam." But the company was upfront about it. They said
yearlong hiatus, they weren't ambiguous by using a word like nap, and in the
Hillborne's case, the reality was exactly like they said - the Hillbornes were
not discontinued. So I haven't seen a lot of evidence to claim that there has
been a pattern of them saying "model sleeping" and it being code for something
else. It happened once - if that.