Patrick,
As usual, I agree with Sheldon Brown!
I do love the Art Deco style of the Chancery.  My commute concludes at one of
the schools on the grounds of the National Cathedral.  I begin near Wheaton,
MD.  Cycling infrastructure has improved greatly since the 1980s, but not along
Wisconsin Avenue where I ride.  The hours I commute allow me to take the curb
lane, free of parked cars, and only play dodge-em with the metro buses.  Most
drivers avoid traveling in the curb lanes I've found, and most bus drivers are
considerate.  Connecticut Avenue north of the district line presents the most
challenge.
Enjoy your dirt road adventure to and from the store.
All the best,
Erl