Yeah, I kinda figured it was along one of the Indy greenways, either the
White River or the Fall Creek Parkway.  Also, I feel your pain when it
comes to that section of "dusty 12's"; most of the trails in the general
Chicago area are surfaced with compacted "limestone screenings," the final
dirt and dust left over from the sorting of different size rocks during the
limestone crushing process.  They're OK if there's regular rain fall during
the Summer months, but if we have a dry spell they get extremely dusty and,
as you say, that stuff is murder on the drive train.  As a protective
measure, I ride my regularly geared road bike only during periods when the
surface is well settled.  But I pull out a single speed conversion for the
dusty times because it's much easier to maintain.