I have a couple buddies that are professional mountain bikers and ride
for a team out here. I used to do a bunch of riding with them till I
became a fat happy dad. Anyway, they do an annual NYD ride that heads
up the road portion of Lookout Mountain in Golden Colorado then down a
mountain bike trail on the backside. I got the invite and decided I
would (on purpose) subject myself to a world of hurt trying to follow
these guys. I got shelled pretty quick on the way up as expected, but
we had a blast on the way down snow covered singletrack trails.
Everyone there was on very high end full suspension bikes...except me
who was on the Bombadil. I hung though!!

Here is a picture set:

http://tinyurl.com/ylorm9z

We did @ 13.5 miles, climbed about 1,716 ft in elevation with a max of
7526 ft. reached at the top.

Took about 2 hours.

Observations on the bike....it handled pretty well considering the
conditions. The top part of the singletrack was pretty loose snow that
was knee deep in places and I got through just as well as the full sus
bikes. It was sort of funny, everyone kept stopping to fiddle with
their shock and tire pressures. I just lowered my seat a little at the
top.

Once we got lower the trail was a little more packed and easier to
ride as long as you stayed on the 12" wide packed snow. Either side
your front wheel would sink like a stone. At first I was fighting the
front end of the bike a bunch as it kept trying to follow the ruts.
Remembering my time before suspension, I leaned back a little to un-
weight the front and gave it more gas. That kept the front end
floating and much easier to track very similar to riding in sand. The
bullmoose bars are great! I was very happy with the width and position
off road. Everyone was envious of my platform pedals as all their spd
cleats were jammed with ice right off the bat. All of these guys could
rocket away from me on a dry trail even at my best, but the conditions
of the day kept things pretty equal. We had a great time, and I hope
to make it an ongoing event.