I did the same last year, but it was the keys to the U lock and cable I
leave on the rack at work which is not a facility where I could take it
inside.

Facing 14 hours unlocked, alone in the parking garage, I bodged a solution
that kept me sane enough for the day's work (and not walking home) by
dropping my front wheel, sticking the fork through the loop of the locked
cable and one leg of it through the locked U lock then reattaching the
wheel. I also left my helmet on the bike with its strap clipped around the
down tube and back wheel.

Day ended, bike still there, plan worked. +1 on Patrick's small gauge cable
lock for the bottom of the bag.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh